Supreme Court allows Texas to begin enforcing immigration law, Appeals Court Halts Decision Hours Later

Conservative's Discussion Forum. Discuss news and politics.
CountZero

Supreme Court allows Texas to begin enforcing immigration law, Appeals Court Halts Decision Hours Later

Texas' strict new immigration law giving state police powers to arrest people on suspicion of illegally crossing the Mexico border was back on hold late Tuesday, hours after the U.S. Supreme Court allowed it to take effect.The latest: A federal appeals court temporarily blocked the law, known as SB 4, from taking effect in a 2-1 order late Tuesday.
 https://www.axios.com/2024/03/19/suprem ... nt-arrests
Supreme court, ha......

kybeagle

Re: Supreme Court allows Texas to begin enforcing immigration law, Appeals Court Halts Decision Hours Later

The lower court ignores the SCOTUS ruling. What's to stop the State of Texas from ignoring the lower court? I believe they have the right to protect themselves from an invasion.
Canis Minor

Re: Supreme Court allows Texas to begin enforcing immigration law, Appeals Court Halts Decision Hours Later

Something tells me this ain't over yet. 
Non Serviam No Unity With Tyrants

WARNING: Can do the math
Lily003

I have long asked why Republicans don't use the very same techniques.

Lily003   :evil:

45kriss5sbr

kybeagle wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:09 pm The lower court ignores the SCOTUS ruling. What's to stop the State of Texas from ignoring the lower court? I believe they have the right to protect themselves from an invasion.

Abbott just needs to tell the "Showering Pedo Daddy" to go eat your ice creme cone in hell 😆!
flaokie

Lily003 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:50 am I have long asked why Republicans don't use the very same techniques.

Lily003   :evil:

I've asked myself the same thing many times.
These days laws may or may not be followed/enforced, depending on what you feel like at that moment.

ironhorsedriver

I thought the Supreme Court was the last stop in the system. So you can appeal a sc ruling, and start the whole process again?
SurroundedByLiberals

ironhorsedriver wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:38 am I thought the Supreme Court was the last stop in the system. So you can appeal a sc ruling, and start the whole process again?

Supremes sometimes send it back for review but that keeps the case alive.

ZeWazir

ironhorsedriver wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:38 am I thought the Supreme Court was the last stop in the system. So you can appeal a sc ruling, and start the whole process again?

It is impossible to get accurate information from so-called "news" sources these days, even most supposedly conservative sources trend toward sensationalized headlines and skewed details. One practically needs to be their own investigative journalist to follow what is going on.

Going back to the "decision" a few weeks ago, all SCOTUS did was decline to overturn the injunction put in place by the lower court.  Yet we were hearing all kinds of rhetoric how the Biden administration "won a major victory" in the case of Texas enforcing its own immigration laws. But, since the law in question had not even taken effect at that time, it was all just a bunch of media hype for advertisement revenues.

Currently, the situation is also more simple than the media want us to believe.  The injunction was up for renewal, and since the last reference to the injunction resided with SCOTUS, the first refusal was up to them.  So they refused to renew the injunction, which sent it back down to the lower court. And now, of course said lower court which issued the first one DID renew the injunction.

Meanwhile, the actual case of whether a state can write and enforce its own immigration laws is being adjudicated in the 5th District. However, whatever comes out of the 5th, you can bet your last wooden nickle that it will be appealed to SCOTUS.

kybeagle

Thank you for clarifying this.